The Edinbane Community Co.
Edinbane Community Company is a Company limited by Guarantee with charitable status, established to manage community benefit funds generated through the windfarm built on land covered by the Edinbane Common Grazings Edinbane, Isle of Skye.
The windfarm is operated by Vattenfall. Vattenfall is Europe’s fifth largest generator of electricity, the largest generator of heat with operations in Denmark, Finland, Germany, United Kingdom, Poland, Netherlands and Sweden.
The Company is registered with the UK Companies House as a Limited Liability Company and with the Office of Scottish Charities which has the following benefits and protection:
- Liability of Directors and Members is limited.
- Directors are accountable and have to report on an annual basis to the membership, Companies House and the Office of Scottish Charities.
- Charitable status requires that reserves are maintained and reported on, on an annual basis to both the membership and the Office of Scottish Charities (OSCR)
- As a limited liability company with charitable status the company is eligible to apply to funding bodies, this means that the organisation can, if it wishes, exercise “leverage” for the funds that it receives in the form of community benefit from Vattenfall and increase funds that are available for community development.
- Membership will provide a consultation body for the Directors.
- Associate membership is open to individuals with a link to, or an interest in the Edinbane Community, but who are not resident in the post code boundary that defines the community.
- Membership allows individuals to nominate or be nominated for office and vote on Company matters brought to their attention.
- Associate Members do not have the same voting rights as full members.